Friday, February 5, 2010

Upgrading Software

I downloaded and installed the windows 7 RC last year and it is the first windows I actually like. It just runs sooo well. I have it on the leveldesign machine and it will run out this year. I also put it on Mum’s new Compaq and she likes the OS too. Had to install Ubitmenue for her 2007 Office (3 licences for 3.000 Rupees – have to be activated in India though). Now I found out that the RC does not upgrade normally. You have to go and install the whole thing new. That is ok for me but not for Mum since I won’t be there to do it, so I looked on the internet and I can do it like this:

You buy windows7 ultimate to have a valid key. Then I take the files from the RC iso and change a value in the cversions.ini file located in the sources folder – The MinClient value needs to be below 7100. Done. Burn the iso to DVD or run Setup from the HD – you can now upgrade windows to the Final version (has to be ultimate) and type in the key from the bought Version. All this only to avoid backing up her files to an external harddrive (which she does not have) and bringing them back in again. … still risky. :) Might find a better solution.

Raghu is going to treat me with dinner in a location I choose – will pick his Cafe (wireless he he). And he promised to bring his credit card so we can setup an apple ID for him … about time.

[Via http://butterbaerchen.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment