Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Praying to the God of fertility by the Bay of Bengal & shoe shopping!

Tuesday February 2nd

This morning marked a major triumph for me and my computer. After three evenings, over 9 hours on skype, speaking with  19 individuals from Microsoft, 6 different hotline phone numbers,  one return and repurchase, my Microsoft programs now work again!  I have never been so frustrated in my life or wished that I had taken a computer class during college.

Today we visited the temples of Mahabalipuram and lounged in the afternoon. (Well everyone else lounged and I caught up on this blog). I must admit that sitting in a lounge with the ocean to my left, fabulous scenery all around, and a glass of sweet lime juice was pretty fantastic!

Mahaballipuram was a very small town lined by the ocean on one side and stone carvings on the other side. The temperature was warm and the sun shone strong. Thanks to a lovely cool breeze, I was in heaven.

Today’s guide was the first poor guide that we had. Unfortunately, I could not understand most of his discussion. The few tidbits that I did understand with regards to these temples –

These temples were built during the 7th and 8th Century AD. They depicted many scenes of the King and his girlfriends. The people that once lived here prayed to the gods asking for fertility for their women to bare many sons. I realize that these sentences do not explain much. I will have to do some further research. Until then please enjoy the photos from my walk around.

Can you imagine if church was beside the sea? Perhaps more people would attend more often!

 

  

 

 

 

What trip to visit temples wouldn’t be complete without buying a pair of sandals!  Everywhere in this town were men making beautiful leather flip flops …I couldn’t resist!

 

Dinner in town tonight at Moondancers: King fish steak cooked in butter garlic sauce, chips, and white wine.

[Via http://curlyrobin.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment