Friday, October 16, 2009

Where has the year gone?!

When I woke up this morning it suddenly dawned on me that it was a whole year ago today that I had the biggest win of my weightlifting career so far when I won the gold medal at the Commonwealth Youth Games in Pune, India.

That was my first experience of participating in a big international multi-sport event and everything about it was fantastic.  (Of course winning helped make it even better!)

The CYG village was amazing and it was great to meet athletes from so many different countries and so many different sports.  I made lots of friends from around the world there and, thanks to the internet, have been able to keep in touch with many of them.  (I’ve posted a few photos today of me competing at the CYG and with my medal.)

But it did make me realise just how quickly the year has flown by.  It’s been a year with so many exciting internationals for me and I think the pace of everything has just made the time seem to go by too fast and I’ve not always had the opportunity to fully appreciate everywhere I’ve been.

The countries I’ve visited in 2009 are:  Thailand (1st World Youth Weightlifting Championships), Austria (Fulda Cup), Sweden (European Junior Championships) and Israel (European Youth Championships).  I’m currently training really hard for my next international (again in Sweden) from 6-8 November where I’m hoping to redeem myself after my unexpectedly lacklustre competition in Israel.

Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming because when I stop to think I can still hardly believe how many opportunities taking part in my sport has given me.

Will have to stop writing now as I’ve got tons of GCSE coursework to catch up on – that’s the biggest downside of missing school to travel abroad!

No comments:

Post a Comment